Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
We are an administrative tribunal that operates at arm’s length from the federal government.
We are dedicated to ensuring that Canadians have access to a world-class communication system that promotes innovation and enriches their lives. Our role is to implement the laws and regulations set by Parliamentarians who create legislation and departments that set policies. We regulate and supervise broadcasting and telecommunications in the public interest.
Services and information
Public proceedings, consultations, part 1 applications, guides on how to participate.
Register with the National Do Not Call List (DNCL), who can still call you, calls from political parties, unwanted calls, block calls, avoid phone fraud, spoofing, scammers, make a complaint, information for telemarketers.
Differences between postpaid and prepaid services.
Wireless Code (the rules your provider must follow), ask a question, make a complaint.
Find a provider, compare and pick a plan, questions you should ask yourself before you change plans.
Roaming explained. Manage your charges locally and while you travel.
Overage fees, family plan, shared plan, international travelling data plans, monitor data usage.
Switching providers, cancellation fees, cancel your services.
What affects Internet speeds at your home, what you can do to improve speed.
Wholesale billing, flat-rate model, capacity-based model.
Consumer rights (TV Service Provider Code), accessible TV, CANCON, commercials (Super Bowl, signal substitution), Indigenous broadcasting, TV services, radio services, closed captioning, described video, programming (channels and stations), make a complaint, TV codes, radio codes, broadcaster codes.
Find television, Internet, mobile and phone service providers in your area. Compare and choose the service provider that works best for you.
What we are doing
Consultations and events
- Public hearing calendars and transcripts
- Telecommunications: Phone and Internet proceedings and part 1s
- Broadcasting: TV, radio and distribution proceedings and part 1s
- Compliance and Enforcement: Telemarketing Rules, National DNCL and Anti-Spam proceedings and part 1s
Research, statistics and data
- Communications Monitoring Report
- Financial summaries of surveys and statistics for the broadcasting sector (DCS)
- Highlights of the Report on Misleading or Aggressive Communications Retail Sales Practices
- Price Comparisons of Wireline, Wireless and Internet Services in Canada and with Foreign Jurisdictions – 2019 Edition (external link)
We are a federal institution that is part of the Canadian Heritage portfolio. We operate at arm’s length from the Government of Canada.
- Date modified: