CRTC Prize for Excellence in Policy Research
The CRTC is proud to co-sponsor the CRTC Prize for Excellence in Policy Research with the Canadian Communication Association (CCA). The Prize was launched in 2015 to encourage a new generation of academics to contribute to Canada’s public policy development through research on emerging issues in information and communication studies.
Canadian graduate students and post-doctoral researchers at universities in Canada and abroad are encouraged to submit papers on cross-cutting themes in Canadian information and communication studies, such as the following:
- Canadian content on TV and online (production, distribution, funding, “discoverability,” etc.)
- Media concentration and democracy
- Telecommunications and the digital divide
- Technological changes and their impact on society
- Other relevant themes
- Monetary awards in three categories:
- PhD candidates: $2,500
- Master’s degree candidates: $1,500
- Postdoctoral researchers: $1,000
- Travel to the CCA Conference
- A one year International Institute of Communications (IIC) Future Leaders Network Membership
- Publication of winning papers in both official languages on the CRTC website
- Presentation of winning papers before CRTC Commissioners and other federal policy makers
- Presentation of winning papers at the CCA annual conference
The total estimated value of the Prize ranges from approximately $6,000 to $8,000 per winner.
- Students enrolled in a graduate program at a Canadian university
- Canadian students (including permanent residents and landed immigrants) enrolled in a graduate program at a university in another country
- Canadian post-doctoral researchers (including permanent residents and landed immigrants) affiliated with a Canadian university
Applicants must become fully-paid members of the CCA.
How to submit your paper
Papers must be:
- Submitted in English or French;
- Between 6,000 and 8,000 words (bibliography and appendices included);
- Presented in a recognized scholarly format; and
- Sent by email to the Vice-President of the CCA.
The submission deadline for applications to the 2021 CRTC Prize for Excellence in Policy Research is now closed. Thank you for your interest in this year’s prize.
For more detailed information about the CRTC Prize, please consult the terms of reference on the CRTC website.
If you have any questions, please contact the Vice-President of the CCA.
- Date modified: