Inquiry on use of misleading or aggressive sales practices by large telecommunications service providers
Canadians interact with their telecommunications service providers on a regular basis. It is essential that these exchanges are carried out in a fair and respectful way.
Are you a current or former customer of the following companies?
- Bell Canada
- Rogers Communications
- Shaw Communications
- TELUS Communications
- Xplornet Communications
If so, we wanted to know if you had experienced any aggressive or misleading sales practices and the impact these practices may have had on you.
We especially wanted to hear from current or former employees of service providers, as well as from those who are more likely to be affected by these practices, such as seniors, people living with a disability and those whose first language is neither English nor French.
The comments received through the three phases of the consultation will help us report to the government on whether aggressive or misleading sales practices are used by large telecommunications service providers and, if so, to understand the impact they had on you. Comments received will also help the Commission to recommend potential ways to strengthen existing consumer protections.
We will submit a report to the Government of Canada no later than February 28, 2019.
Phase 1 – Notice of consultation
July 16 to August 30, 2018
The consultation is now closed, thank you for participating.
During this phase, we were looking for your thoughts on questions such as:
- Do you think your service provider is using language that is easy to understand?
- Have you experienced misleading or aggressive sales practices from a service provider?
- As a person with a disability, did you find that your service provider accommodated your needs during sales interactions?
- As an older Canadian or a Canadian with a language barrier, did you find that the service provider made an effort to make sure that you were able to make an informed decision about the services offered for sale?
- As a current or a former employee, what is your personal experience of the impact of misleading or aggressive sales practices on consumers and employees?
- In your opinion, are existing consumer protections sufficient to ensure that you are treated fairly regarding retail sales practices?
- Are you aware of the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) and its services to help customers resolve complaints about service providers?
- Are you aware of the role of the Competition Bureau in investigating deceptive marketing practices like misleading sales practices?
Consult the comments we received to see what others said about these issues.
Phase 2 – Online survey
August 27 to September 9, 2018 (midnight PDT)
The survey is now closed. Thank you for participating. Consult the results.
Your opinion will help us better understand what kind of sales practices you have experienced with your current or former telecommunications service providers.
Phase 3 - Public Hearing
October 22-26, 2018
During the public hearing, presentations were made by Canadians, large Canadian telecommunication companies, a number of advocacy groups and different stakeholders. Consult the hearing’s agenda and transcripts.
Canadians were invited to participate throughout the hearing via Twitter. Those tweets are being considered for the CRTC’s report to the government
- Date modified: