Consultation on a request made by television service providers to raise the maximum price of the basic TV package
Current status: Closed
This consultation first ran from September 28, 2022 to November 28, 2022. We re-opened the consultation from February 20, 2023 to February 24, 2023 to allow comments on new data provided by broadcasters about how many subscribers could see their bill increase if the application is approved by the Commission.
See the “What we heard” section to find the comments that were submitted. The CRTC will review the comments we received and issue a decision.
We wanted to hear your views on a joint application filed by four TV service providers (Bell, Cogeco, Bragg and SaskTel), to increase the maximum price of the basic TV package from $25/month to $28/month, with adjustments based on the rate of inflation for each subsequent year.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We encouraged all Canadians to share their views and comments about a request made by four TV service providers to increase the maximum price of the small basic service from $25/month to $28/month and allow for yearly price changes based on inflation. The Commission’s decision could have an impact on the cost of the basic service for all Canadian subscribers.
Key topics/questions for discussion
The Commission invited Canadians to comment on the questions below to help in reaching its decision:
- What are your thoughts on the proposed increase and does the applicants’ rationale justify it, in your view?
- Should the maximum price for a basic cable TV service be adjusted every year based on inflation?
- How will the outcome of this application impact your decision to continue using the basic cable TV service?
Learn more about the topics for discussion set out in the Notice of Consultation.
What we heard
- Interventions (comments we received online, by mail and by fax)
- Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96
- How to participate in CRTC public proceedings
- Consumer price index portal
- You have choices. Demand better.
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2
Toll-free 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
- Date modified: