Consultation about commercial radio
Current status: Closed
The consultation ran from November 12, 2020 to March 29, 2021.
See the “What we heard” section for summaries of the discussions that took place.
We sought input from Canadians to better understand their listening habits, needs, interests and expectations for commercial radio stations. The CRTC is reviewing its policy for commercial radio and the information received during the consultation will help us to identify specific issues to be addressed in the new policy. Canada’s commercial radio sector includes all AM and FM radio stations, except those owned and operated by the CBC/Radio-Canada or licensed as campus, community, Indigenous or ethnic stations.
Key topics for discussion
We are assessing the relevance and effectiveness of the rules currently governing commercial radio in Canada. We are also exploring new ways to regulate the industry to ensure that it meets the needs and interests of Canadians in both official languages.
- How can our policy help provide diverse, relevant and quality programming on commercial radio that serves Canadians’ needs and interests?
- How can we ensure that Canadian artists (music and spoken word) are best supported by radio broadcasters in terms of creation, presentation and discoverability of Canadian content in both official languages?
- How can we establish a flexible policy that enables both the English- and French-language radio industry to remain competitive in the digital environment?
Learn more about the topics for discussion set out in the Notice of Consultation.
What we heard
- Interventions (comments we received online, by mail and by fax)
- Attitudes and opinions towards commercial radio in Canada (Public Opinion Research)
- Co-development of the Indigenous Broadcasting Policy:
- Executive summary of the early engagement sessions report (available in English, French, Cree, Inuktitut, Mi’kmaq, Mohawk and Ojibway)
- Early engagement sessions report (available in English and French only)
- Broadcasting Notice of Proceeding CRTC 2020-25 – Commercial radio policy framework review
- Harnessing Change: The Future of Programming Distribution in Canada
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 0N2
Toll-free 1 (877) 249-CRTC (2782)
TTY (819) 994-0423
- Date modified: