Consultation about CBC/Radio-Canada’s services
Current status: Closed
The consultation ran from November 25, 2019 to February 20, 2020.
A virtual public hearing was held between January 11 and January 28, 2021.
See the “What we heard” section for summaries of the discussions that took place.
We sought input from Canadians about the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s and Société Radio-Canada’s (CBC/Radio-Canada) programming as part of the process to renew their broadcasting licences. CBC/Radio-Canada’s licences will expire on August 31, 2021. We want to make sure the content produced and distributed by CBC/Radio-Canada reflects the diversity of Canada’s population, while meeting its needs in both official languages.
Key topics for discussion
We must make sure that CBC/Radio-Canada continues to carry out its mandate so that Canadians have access to predominantly Canadian programming services that:
- are relevant and reflect Canadians across the country in both official language communities while meeting their needs and interests
- reflect the multicultural and multi-ethnic nature of Canada, including Indigenous peoples
- are of high quality and support Canadian creators and producers
- are accessible and discoverable in Canada and abroad
- contribute to democratic life in Canada by providing high-quality and reliable news and information
See the Notice of Consultation for more details.
What we heard
The first part of the consultation was open between November 25, 2019 and February 20, 2020. Between June 22 and July 13, 2020, we asked for input on financial information related to CBC/Radio-Canada’s digital services. As part of the licence renewal process, we held a virtual public hearing from January 11 to January 28, 2021. Take a look at the comments shared.
- Interventions (comments we received online, by mail and by fax)
- Facebook comments
- Public hearing: transcripts
- Consult the latest Communications Monitoring Report
- Change of hearing date and new financial information related to CBC/Radio-Canada’s digital services
- CBC/Radio-Canada’s licences are renewed until August 31, 2021
- Canadians are invited to share their views on CBC’s programming: consultation period extended
- Harnessing public broadcasting for Canadians in the digital age
- Canadians are invited to share their views on CBC’s programming
- CBC/Radio-Canada’s Strategic plan: Your stories, taken to heart
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 0N2
Toll-free 1 (877) 249-CRTC (2782)
TTY (819) 994-0423
- Date modified: