Frequently asked questions


What does CRTC do?

Parliament has given the CRTC the job of regulating and supervising the broadcasting and telecommunications systems in Canada. The CRTC reports to Parliament through the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

Participating in CRTC public proceedings

How do I support/oppose or comment on an application, a licence renewal, or a CRTC policy?

You'll find general information in How to participate in a CRTC public proceeding as well as a form for submitting your comments.

Where do I find out about upcoming public hearings so I can take part?

Check the Calendar of Public Hearings

TV and radio

What makes a song qualify as Canadian?

To find out how a song qualifies as Canadian, read about the MAPL system.

How do I express my concerns about programming on radio or TV?

Read How to make a broadcasting complaint for information and instructions.

Why do radio or TV ads seem so much louder than the programs?

For more information, go to Loud TV Commercials.

What can I do about false and misleading ads?

The CRTC does not regulate false and misleading ads.

You can contact the product manufacturer and the TV station that aired the ads.

The Competition Bureau investigates complaints about false and misleading ads. You can call them toll-free at 1-800-348-5358.

Why is an American TV program showing Canadian commercials?

It's called signal substitution. One signal, which is airing the program, is replaced temporarily by a local signal in order to air local ads. For more information, go to Signal substitution - same program, different commercials .

When I watch TV or listen to the radio, I get a fuzzy picture or lots of static. What can I do?

First, make sure your receiving equipment is working properly. Then contact your cable or satellite service provider to talk to them about your signal quality.

If you receive your signals over-the-air, contact the TV and radio stations involved directly.

For more information about interference, go to Industry Canada's Consumer Information.

Why can't I watch any TV program on the Internet?

Learn about TV and music online to find out why

Telephone service

What is my telephone company supposed to provide for me?

Refer to the Terms of Service that are included in the front pages of your phone book.

I don't want telemarketers to call or fax my home or business. What can I do?

Go to the National Do Not Call List to register your residential, cellular, fax, and VoIP numbers on the list for 5 years.

The CRTC strongly encourages consumers to file a complaint with the National DNCL Operator every time they receive an unwanted telemarketing call. For additional information, you can consult the Telemarketing consumer topic.

Somebody switched my long-distance carrier without my permission!

This is a practice called "slamming" - switching a long-distance telephone customer from one company to another, without their permission. If this has happened to you, and you want to find out who is actually providing you with long-distance service, call 1-700-555-4141 from your telephone.

Read Changing long-distance service providers for more information.

My telephone is going to be disconnected! I need help fast!

If your telephone company has given you notice that your service will be disconnected:

If your local telephone service provider is one of the original phone companies that existed prior to today's competitive market (i.e., TELUS, MTS Allstream, Bell Canada, or Bell Aliant), and it has disconnected or is threatening to disconnect your local service for unpaid long-distance charges, the CRTC-approved terms of service ensure that:

See Terms of Service – Disconnection for partial payment of charges (Telecom Decision CRTC 2004-31).

What's happening when I pick up the phone and there is silence or a screechy sound, or I hear a recorded message?

You're describing one of the following situations:

You can find more information about these at the front of your telephone directory under Privacy Issues.

You can also read New and revised Unsolicited Telecommunications Rules for information about telemarketing and other related issues.

What can I do if I have problems with my phone service?

The first thing to do is contact your telephone company. In most cases, problems can be resolved by dealing directly with the company.

If you're not satisfied with the results, go to How to make a complaint about your telephone service.

Cellphone services: What is and isn't regulated by the CRTC?

Go to Mobile for more information.

How do I get out of a contract with a phone company?

If you are cancelling a contract with a phone company without switching to another company, simply notify your telephone service provider that you wish to cancel the contract.

Your service provider must cancel your wireless service as soon as it receives your notice of cancellation (unless you request a later cancellation date). This requirement will also begin to apply to home telephone services on January 23, 2015.

You can switch from one telephone service provider to another and keep your existing phone number by making a single call to the new provider. The new provider is responsible for notifying your existing provider that you have made the change.

When making a change, it is your responsibility to finalize any payments or resolve any issues with your old service provider.


Why doesn't the CRTC regulate Internet services?

Although the CRTC plays a role in ensuring competition among Internet service providers, and prohibits internet service providers from requiring customer to give 30-days’ notice before cancelling Internet services, it has determined that the market for Internet services in Canada is competitive enough to ensure ongoing creativity and innovation without regulation. As a result, it does not regulate Internet retail rates, quality of service, billing, marketing practices, equipment offered, and customer relations of Internet service providers except in rare cases where competition is not sufficient.

One such rare case concerns Internet services provided by Northwestel In 2013, the CRTC found that there was limited competition for certain residential and business Internet services offered by Northwestel in its operating territory. The CRTC decided that it would regulate, on an exceptional basis, Northwestel’s rates for these services.

Why doesn't the CRTC regulate Internet content?

The CRTC does not regulate internet content because consumers can already control access to unsuitable material on the internet using filtering software. Any potentially illegal content on the internet can be addressed with civil action, existing hate crime legislation, and the courts.

Go to TV and Music Online for more information on what you can do about offensive content on the Internet.

Date modified: