Changing Long-Distance Service Providers

The CRTC no longer regulates the rates, terms of service or business practices of long-distance service providers.

In today's competitive telephone market, there are many choices for long-distance services offering a variety of features. Consumers can shop around for the service that suits them best.

Before you switch long-distance service providers

Ask questions

Gather information and documentation from a potential service provider. Ask plenty of questions, such as:

You need to authorize a switch in your long-distance provider

A long-distance service provider must get your (or your agent’s) authorization before it can transfer your subscription. Your agent can be an adult member of your household. You can give your authorization in one of the following ways:

When you give your authorization

When can give your authorization, keep these points in mind:

Unauthorized switching of long-distance companies or "slamming"

If your long-distance telephone company is switched to another company without your permission, it’s called “slamming.” Slamming is not condoned by either the industry or the CRTC.

How do you know if you've been slammed?

What to do if you've been slammed

If you are not satisfied with your service providers’ response, you may contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS).

The CCTS is an independent agency that helps resolve your complaints about telecommunications services.  Contact them at:

What about changing my local service?

For information on changing your local telephone service, go to Choosing your local home phone service.

Date modified: