FAQ – Connected buildings

Form 265 – Connected buildings

What are examples of the types of connections that qualify?

Ethernet, DS-3, OC-3, and IP over SONET are common examples. Connections must be able to dedicate at least 44.736 Mbps to the building in a symmetric manner similar to a DS-3, but the latency and reliability standards do not need to be as high.

How do you define in-service?

If any connection to a building is providing telecommunications services that total at least 44.736 Mbps, then the building is considered connected and in-service. Burstable services should be counted at their top speed.

What if I have a 44.736 Mbps capable connection enabled, but it is not currently providing 44.736 Mbps in total services (for instance, it is providing a 20 Mbps transparent LAN service or a 20 line phone service)?

As long as the connection is not providing a combination of services that total 44.736 Mbps, it is consider connected, but not in-service.

We can service a whole city using fixed wireless or satellite. How is this availability to be reported?

In the case of fixed wireless or satellite, indicate the number of buildings equipped with transmission equipment capable of connecting the building at speeds equivalent to DS-3 or higher.

There are a number of buildings that were connected to our network at speeds of 44.736 Mbps but are no longer in-service. Are we required to include these buildings?

These connections are only considered connected (but not in-service) only if the physical facilities (e.g. lines) are still present.

We have a number of buildings connected on a wholesale basis. Who is required to report these connections, and how?

Only the underlying provider of the connection is required to report these connections. These connection arrangements are considered to be in-service.

We are providing access facilities to another telecommunications service provider on an unbundled basis. How do we report these buildings?

The building is considered connected and should be included in your results. The connection is assumed to be in-service.

We are making fibre available to another party via an IRU (Indefeasible Right of Use). Do we count the service, or does the other party?

The IRU should be counted by the underlying owner. It should be considered to be in-service.

How is “commercial” building defined?

A commercial building is any building that contains the operations of a legal entity.

What is a “dedicated connection speed”?

A dedicated connection speed refers to an uninterrupted, upload and download, connection to a building of 44.736 Mbps.

Should buildings with multiple postal codes be counted multiple times?

Multiple postal codes for the same building are referred to as "stacking". This occurs when (a) different floors of a large office building are assigned separate postal codes or (b) lock boxes or P.O. boxes are used. The objective of the project is to identify the number of connected buildings by postal code. The data can be provided for either the dominant postal code or by individual stacked postal code. The CRTC can differentiate between the two and adjust the results accordingly.

Can any source and vintage of postal code or geographic boundary be used to identify connected buildings?

Postal Code data must respect the specifications set by Canada Post. The codes must be valid current codes (i.e., within 3 years). The latitude and longitude (to 4 decimal places) coordinates of the building may be provided instead.

Are buildings that are “passed by” facilities capable of speeds of DS-3 or greater, but are not connected to the facility excluded?

Buildings that are “passed by” facilities capable of speeds of DS-3 or greater and not connected are excluded.

Are buildings connected with the following types of facilities that are capable of speeds of DS-3 or greater excluded:

  1. Coaxial cable/DOCSIS
  2. Fixed wireless
  3. Mobile wireless

Coaxial cable/DOCSIS and fixed wireless connections are included. Mobile wireless connections are excluded.

What format can be used when submitting the data?

Companies may use the following formats: XML, Excel, SQL or DBF. Please consult with the CRTC to assess the suitability of other formats.

Date modified: