FAQ – Internet access forms (20X, 25X)

Forms 20X/25X - Internet access

We sell Internet access to ISPs. Should I report those accounts as "Wholesale" subscriptions?

No. Revenues earned for connecting ISPs to the Internet, and for connecting BGP-speaking customers (including ISPs) to the Internet, are treated as Internet transport, not Internet access, and should be reported in the Internet transport revenues section of Forms 201/252 or in Other Internet services in form 200.

We sell mobile Internet service. I don't see any box on this form for mobile Internet; does that mean you don't want to know about it?

No. We do want to know about it -- but not on this form. All mobile Internet subscriptions should be reported in Form 279.

We sell wholesale DSL to ISPs, who then utilise it to provide DSL Internet services. We do not bundle Internet Access with it. Should we be reporting it under Wholesale?

Yes. Although it was separate in previous versions of the forms, it is now combined into wholesale on forms 200, 201, 202, 252 and form 253

We sell WiFi or dial-up access by the hour/session/etc. How do we report our user numbers and revenues.

Report all revenues in Form 252, and, in addition, report the pay-per-use revenues separately in a note. Please provide details about hours, sessions, etc in a note to form 253.

We sell accelerated dial-up. Should this be identified as “dial-up” or “other” on forms 200/201/202/252/253?

This product should be identified as dial-up.

We sell a product that bonds multiple dial-up connections to form a large connection. Is this dial-up or other?

Account for it under “Other”. Since this technology behaves in much the same manner as a dedicated high speed Internet connection, it should not be accounted for as dial-up.

You ask what how many gigabytes per month per user are utilised by my high-speed residential users. How do I measure this?

There are a number of methods that can be utilised.

  • You can utilise the records kept in order to regulate usage of your service each month. Add all records together for the whole year and divide by number of records.
  • You can study a representative sample of usage records of your users throughout the year to tell what the average usage amounts are.
  • You can utilise traffic volume samples taken throughout the year on network choke points that service all or a representative number of your residential users, and divide by the number of user subscriptions at the time of each sample.

If you do not have the ability to answer this question, leave the field blank and provide an explanation in the notes section at the bottom of the form.

You ask what percentage of high-speed wholesale subscribers are residential. What if we do not know what type of end-user is utilising the facility?

Leave the field blank and provide an explanation in the notes section at the bottom of the form.

Form 255/255s - Residential Internet access high-speed plans

Should I include security and other similar Internet services?

No, this form is only for the basic Internet access component and supplemental usage charges.

Should I include all types of technologies such as dial-up, DSL, fibre, fixed wireless, etc. on this form?

Do not include dial-up Internet access arrangements. Include all high-speed Internet access technologies such as satellite, DSL, cable, fibre, fixed wireless, etc...

Should I provide data for both business and residential subscribers?

Only provide data for residential subscribers.

Some of our Internet services are bundled with other services. I am unable to identify the bundling discount on a service by service basis. How do I provide the requested information?

You are not required to identify the bundling discount. Simply provide the stand alone revenues for the Internet service taking into account any promotional, non-bundling related discounts.

Date modified: