Share your views and ideas on telecommunications services in Northern Canada
Current status: Open
Start date: November 2, 2020
End date: January 20, 2021
Do you live in Canada’s North? If so, we want to know your thoughts on telecommunications services in your community. What has been your experience with Internet, wireless and telephone services? What are the issues and challenges you have faced? We want to know more about how the telecommunications needs of Canadians living in the areas served by Northwestel are being met to ensure that all Canadians have access to high-quality telecommunication services.
If you are a client of Northwestel, we would also like to know what you think about the quality of their telecommunications services. Are they accessible, affordable and reliable?
The information collected will help the Commission better understand the current issues and challenges related to telecommunications services in Canada’s North. It will also help us update the rules to ensure that services are available at affordable rates, now and for years to come.
How to participate
There are a few ways you can participate listed below. Keep in mind that we’ll make all submissions public.
Fill out the online form by 8 p.m. (EDT) on January 20, 2021 to share your comments. You’ll have to agree to our privacy statement first.
Write a letter to the Secretary General with your ideas and input to the mailing address below.
Send us your ideas and comments to the fax number below.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We want to hear from customers of Northwestel, as well as from Canadians living in the areas served by Northwestel who require access to reliable telecommunications services.
Key topics for discussion
We want to better understand the state of Internet, wireless and telephone services in Canada’s North, and determine whether more needs to be done to ensure Canadians living there have access to high-quality services at reasonable rates. More specifically, we want to hear your thoughts on:
- the affordability of telecommunications services for residents and businesses in the North
- the quality of telecommunications services, including internet speeds, mobile coverage and service reliability, and
- how the CRTC may foster more competition in the North.
Learn more about the topics for discussion set out in the Notice of Consultation.
What we are hearing
- Interventions (comments we received online, by mail and by fax)
- Northern telecommunications services public opinion research report
- Download our Public Service Announcement - Northwestel Review
- Broadband Fund – Closing the digital divide in Canada
- CRTC Broadband Fund selected projects
- Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2018-213 - Phase-out of the local service subsidy regime
- Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2013-711 - Northwestel Inc. – Regulatory Framework, Modernization Plan, and related matters
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 0N2
- Date modified: