Closing the Broadband Gap
The CRTC established a universal service objective that Canadians – in rural and remote areas as well as in urban centres – have access to voice services and broadband Internet access services on fixed and mobile wireless networks.
The CRTC set new targets for these services:
- speeds of 50 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload for fixed broadband services
- an unlimited data option for fixed broadband services
- the latest mobile wireless technology available not only to all homes and businesses, but also along major Canadian roads
Details of the Broadband Fund
The CRTC has set out the criteria that will be used to evaluate applications for funding from its Broadband Fund. Details on the fund’s governance, operating and accountability frameworks have also been established.
Resources for applicants will be made available in the coming months, including an application guide and maps.
- The application guide will provide all the information that applicants will need to apply for funding, including procedural and practical details.
- The maps will identify the geographic areas that are eligible for funding
In 2019, the CRTC will issue a call for applications and begin the competitive process to evaluate and select projects. Details will be outlined in a future announcement.
- Date modified: