Changing your service provider

Regardless of whether you want to change your phone, mobile, Internet or TV provider or simply cancel your service(s), the process is easy.

Transfer your services

Once you’ve picked your new service provider, we recommend that you ask your new service provider to transfer your existing services on your behalf. (You don’t even need to talk to your current provider!Footnote 1)

How does this work?

All you need to do is phone, email or send regular mail to your new service provider to request a service transfer. Your new service provider will cancel your existing services and start your new services with them.

As soon as your current service provider receives the notice of cancellation from your new provider, they will cancel your services immediately. Alternatively, you can ask to have your services cancelled at a later date.

You do not need to provide 30 days notice before cancelling your phone, mobile, Internet, or TV services.Footnote 2

Keep your phone number

To keep your current phone number, tell your new phone provider that you want to keep your number. Your new provider will take care of the transfer for you. Make sure you make this request before your original contract has been cancelled.

Cancel your services

If you just want to cancel your services, typically, you would phone, email or send in regular mail to notify your existing service provider of the cancellation; check your contract to see if there is a specific way they want you to cancel. Your service provider must cancel your services right away (unless you specify a later cancellation date).

Billing and issues

It is your responsibility to finalize any payments or resolve any issues with your current service provider before you cancel or transfer your services. Billing will stop as soon as your services are cancelled. If you have a contract, you may need to pay cancellation fees.

Read more about phone, mobile, Internet, and TV services:

Date modified: