Consultation about contributions to the Canadian Broadcasting system
Current status: Closed
Next step: public hearing (November 20, 2023)
This consultation ran from May 12, 2023 to July 11, 2023. See the “What we heard” section to find the comments that were submitted.
We encouraged you to share your views on how traditional broadcasters and online streaming services should support the Canadian broadcasting system, including Canadian and Indigenous content.
We are reading the comments we received to understand your views.
We will hold a public hearing on November 20, 2023.
Who was the focus of this consultation
This consultation was most interest to:
- Online streaming services
- Television and radio broadcasters
- Members of the production and creative industries
- Viewers and listeners as well as other interested members of the public
Key topics for discussion
To better support our broadcasting system, including Canadian and Indigenous programming and creators, we want to build a contribution framework that is flexible enough to account for different business models and changing technologies. We are proposing that online streaming services could make initial base contributions, followed by a flexible approach to other obligations and incentives.
We invited you to provide your comments on the proposed framework, including:
- the concept of initial base contributions by online streaming services
- where the contributions should be directed to the benefit of Canadian and Indigenous programming
- obligations that are tailored to the broadcasters and online streaming services to which they apply
- how to ensure support for diverse and accessible programming
- the best ways to promote Canadian and Indigenous programming and make it discoverable.
See the Notice of Consultation 2023-138-1 for more details.
What we heard
- Interventions (comments we received online, by mail and by fax)
- Consultation on registration of online streaming services
- Consultation on exemption orders and basic conditions of service
- Filing submissions for Commission proceedings in accessible formats, Broadcasting and Telecom Information Bulletin CRTC 2015-242, 8 June 2015
- Guidelines on the CRTC Rules of Practice and Procedure, Broadcasting and Telecom Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-959, 23 December 2010
- Changes to certain practices for filing interventions – Expansion of filing practices to include the filing of joint supporting comments for broadcasting policy proceedings, Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2010-28-1, 10 December 2010
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2
Toll-free 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
- Date modified: