Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2020-178-4
References: 2020-178, 2020-178-1, 2020-178-2, 2020-178-3 and 2020-178-5
Ottawa, 21 May 2021
Public record: 1011-NOC2020-0178
Call for comments – Accessibility – Mobile wireless service plans that meet the needs of Canadians with various disabilities – Changes to procedure
Suspension of deadlines until further notice
- On 23 March 2021, the Commission modified its procedures for the proceeding initiated by Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178 to invite Canadians to submit their interventions and replies in American Sign Language (ASL) or Langue des signes québecoise (LSQ), in video format, if they so choose.
- On 22 April 2021, the Deafness Advocacy Association Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador Association of the Deaf, and Ontario Association of the Deaf (collectively, the DHH [Deaf and hard-of-hearing] Coalition) filed a letter seeking the issuance of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178 and related information in sign language format “so interested sign language users could better understand exactly what feedback / information the Commission requires.” In its letter, the DHH Coalition also sought a further extension for interventions to be submitted following the issuance of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178. No parties commented on the request.
- The Commission considers that having key information available in ASL and LSQ for people who are Deaf or hard of hearing would help develop a fulsome public record in this proceeding. This public record will form the basis for the Commission’s determinations. The Commission is also mindful that significantly delaying a resolution in this proceeding could prejudice persons with disabilities. Accordingly, the Commission intends to issue in ASL and LSQ the following key information that is focused on the participation of interested persons, including persons with disabilities:
- Appendix 2 of Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178: Questions for interested persons who wish to become parties to this proceeding, including but not limited to Canadian consumers of communications services, consumer groups, and accessibility groups;
- Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178-3, in which the Commission set out the procedure for video submissions; and
- any future amendments to Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178 impacting either of the first two bullets.
- The Commission hereby suspends all deadlines for the proceeding while the necessary interpretation takes place. The Commission recognizes the importance of this proceeding, of meaningful participation by parties, and of timely determinations on the issues to be examined. The Commission intends to issue an updated notice in which it will address revised deadlines and maintain the timelines of 60 days for interventions from the day the sign language videos are made available and an additional 45 days for replies. The Commission will make the videos available on its YouTube channel and will provide a link to the videos on its website.
- Call for comments – Accessibility – Mobile wireless service plans that meet the needs of Canadians with various disabilities, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2020-178, 1 June 2020; as amended by Telecom Notices of Consultation CRTC 2020-178-1, 26 August 2020; 2020-178-2, 29 September 2020; and 2020-178-3, 23 March 2021
- Date modified: