Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2020-178-1
Reference: 2020-178, 2020-178-2, 2020-178-3, 2020-178-4 and 2020-178-5
Ottawa, 26 August 2020
Public record: 1011-NOC2020-0178
Call for comments – Accessibility – Mobile wireless service plans that meet the needs of Canadians with various disabilities – Changes to procedure
Suspension of deadlines until further notice
- On 1 June 2020, the Commission issued Telecom Notice of Consultation 2020-178, in which it initiated a proceeding to examine (i) how wireless service providers are complying with the requirements to offer mobile wireless service plans that meet the needs of Canadians with various disabilities and to promote those plans in ways that are accessible; (ii) whether differences exist between primary and flanker brands; (iii) whether the plans currently offered and promoted are sufficient to meet the needs of Canadians with various disabilities; and (iv) whether additional regulatory measures are required, and if so, the nature of such measures required to ensure that Canadians with various disabilities have access to plans that meet their needs and enable them to participate more fully in Canada’s digital economy (the proceeding).
- On 14 July 2020, the Deaf Wireless Canada Consultative Committee (DWCC), the Canadian Association of the Deaf, and the Canadian National Society of the Deaf-Blind, Inc. (collectively, DWCC et al.), filed a procedural letter in which they requested, among other things, that the proceeding include a virtual public hearing component.
- On 10 August 2020, DWCC et al. filed a second procedural letter in which they requested an extension to the intervention deadline, from 31 August 2020 to 30 September 2020, in order to complete a survey of community members and submit a report summarizing the findings on the record of the proceeding.
- The Commission hereby suspends all deadlines for the proceeding until further notice while it considers DWCC et al.’s 14 July 2020 request, particularly in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Commission recognizes the importance of the proceeding, of meaningful participation by parties, and of timely determinations on the issues to be examined. The Commission intends to issue an updated notice addressing revised deadlines and any further process, if warranted, as soon as practicable.
- The Commission considers that the suspension of all deadlines until further notice renders DWCC et al.’s request for an extension of time moot.
- Call for comments – Accessibility – Mobile wireless service plans that meet the needs of Canadians with various disabilities, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2020-178, 1 June 2020
- Date modified: