Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2019-379-4
References: 2019-379, 2019-379-1, 2019-379-2, 2019-379-3, 2019-379-5 and 2019-379-6
Ottawa, 10 November 2020
Public record: 1011-NOC2019-0379
Notice of hearing
11 January 2021
Change of hearing location and start time, and additional information to be added to the public record
[Submit an intervention/comment/answer or view related documents]
Change of hearing location and start time
- Further to Broadcasting Notices of Consultation 2019-379, 2019-379-1, 2019-379-2 and 2019-379-3, the Commission announces the following (changes are in bold):
The Commission will hold an electronic hearing commencing on 11 January 2021 at 10 a.m. in the National Capital Region.
- Accordingly, the applicant and appearing interveners will be invited to participate remotely in the hearing.
Additional information to be added to the public record
- As part of this proceeding, the Commission received a procedural request from the Community Media Advocacy Centre regarding the provision of data by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (the Corporation) relating to human resources and employment equity, which the Commission has denied.
- Nevertheless, the Commission requires further information in regard to the Corporation’s programming activities to ensure that there is a meaningful discussion at the hearing on the relevance of the Corporation’s programming to Canada’s diverse population.
- In a letter also issued today, the Commission has requested that the Corporation file additional information relating to the manner in which the production of its English- and French-language programming meaningfully includes in key production roles members of the diverse Canadian population – which includes women, Indigenous Peoples, ethnic and multicultural communities, Canadians with disabilities and Canadians who identify as LGBTQ2. If the Corporation does not have or collect this information, the letter requests that it explain how it believes it can meet its diversity targets without such information. The Commission has requested that the Corporation file its reply providing this information by no later than 1 December 2020.
- The information to be provided by the Corporation will be placed on the public record for this proceeding. Appearing interveners will have the opportunity to comment on this information as part of the oral phase of the public hearing. All interveners to this proceeding will have an opportunity to comment on this additional information as part of their final written submissions following the oral phase of the public hearing, by a date to be announced. The Corporation will be permitted to reply to interveners either during the oral phase of the hearing or following the oral phase of the hearing as part of its final reply.
- The Commission reminds parties that additional information relating to this proceeding may continue to be added to the public record. Interested parties are invited to check the public file on a regular basis.
- Date modified: