Accessibility progress reports
The Accessible Canada Act (ACA) requires regulated service providers to create and publish a progress report on the implementation of their accessibility plans. The providers must also notify the CRTC when those progress reports become available on their websites.
We will create a list of providers who notify the CRTC that their progress reports are available on their websites. The first deadline for progress reports is 1 June 2024.
Deadlines for first progress report
Not all service providers have the same deadlines. Providers fall into different “classes” of service that are generally based on the number of their employees. For instance, smaller providers fall into a class of service that has later deadlines than larger providers. See paragraph 4 of Information Bulletin 2022-117 for the definitions of each “class”.
Note that Class B3/T3 (10 to 99 employees) and B4/T4 (fewer than 10 employees) are required to complete and submit the “Attestation under the CRTC Accessibility Reporting Regulations” (Form 860) in the CRTC’s Data Collection System. Consult the list of companies who submitted an attestation form.
- Classes B1 andT1 and classes B2 and T2: 1 June 2024
- Classes B3 and T3: 1 June 2025
- Classes B4 and T4 and Class T5: No obligation to notify the CRTC that they have published progress reports
Class B1/T2, B2/T2 and B3/T3 entities must publish an updated progress report on 1 June of every year following the publication of their first progress report.
Requirements for the progress reports
Sections 13 (broadcasting) and 29 (telecom) of the CRTC Accessibility Reporting Regulations (the Regulations) specify that the regulated entity’s progress report must include a header for each of the following elements:
- Subsection 42(1) or 51(1) of the ACA: its policies, programs, practices and services in relation to the identification and removal of barriers, and the prevention of new barriers;
- Subsection 44(4) or 53(4) of the ACA: the manner in which it consulted persons with disabilities in the preparation of its progress report;
- Subsection 44(5) or 53(5) of the ACA: information concerning the feedback received by the regulated entity through its feedback process and how that feedback was taken into consideration.
Sections 14 (broadcasting) and 30 (telecom) of the Regulations set out the publication requirements for the progress reports:
- The entity must publish its progress reports on its website, either directly on the homepage or by way of a hyperlink on the homepage;
- The progress reports must be in clear, simple and concise language;
- The electronic publication of the progress reports must meet the requirements of Level AA conformance as set out in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
How to notify us
Service providers must notify us that they have published their progress reports and should do so through their My CRTC account.
Note that the notice must include the URL of the progress report.
To submit your notice:
- Access the Forms and My CRTC Account page.
- Select the Broadcasting Cover Page or Telecom Cover Page as applicable.
- Log in either through your GCKey account or through a Sign-in Partner.
- Enter the relevant information for your organization (name, address, etc.).
See Information Bulletin CRTC 2022-227 for more details.
Still have questions?
For more information about the requirements under the ACA and the Regulations, contact us at email@example.com.
- Date modified: