Consultation on Video Relay Service in Canada
Current status: Closed
From March 14, 2022 to May 16, 2022 Video Relay Service (VRS) users were invited to provide their initial comments and to tell us if they want to participate in a virtual discussion session in ASL or LSQ to provide feedback about their experiences using VRS.
See the “What we learned” section to find the comments that were submitted.
To understand if Video Relay Service (VRS) is meeting Canadians’ needs, we launched a formal review of the service. VRS is a basic telecommunications service that enables people with hearing or speech disabilities who use sign language to communicate with voice telephone users. An operator relays the conversation from sign language to spoken language and vice versa, for example from American Sign Language (ASL) to English, or from Langue des signes québécoise (LSQ) to French.
We will hold a series of virtual discussions with VRS users who have indicated their interest to participate. Those who submitted an initial comment when the consultation was first launched will have the opportunity to reply to what they heard in the virtual discussion sessions.
- Virtual discussions: postponed, new date to be determined
- Final reply: to be determined
- Participants replied to comments from May 17 to July 29, 2022 (completed)
Key topics for discussion
To better understand the state of VRS in Canada, we asked VRS users and other Canadians to provide their views on the following topics:
- Does VRS in Canada meet your needs as a sign language user?
- Should VRS in Canada offer more functionality?
- Could VRS do something better?
Learn more about the topics for discussion set out in the Notice of Consultation.
An ASL interpretation of the Notice of Consultation is available as a video playlist: ASL interpretation: Video Relay Service Review.
What we learned
The consultation was launched on March 14 and people could provide initial comments up to May 16, 2022.
- Report: Video Relay Service Research – International Comparison
- Video Relay Service Public Opinion Research - Final Report External link
- Frequently Asked Questions about VRS in Canada External link
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N2
Toll-free 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
- Date modified: