Responsibilities and Regulatory Obligations
Basic International Telecommunications Services (BITS) Licensees
These are entities that the CRTC has authorized to carry telecommunications traffic between Canada and another country.
Responsibilities for all BITS licensees…
- You must register with the CRTC
- You must comply with the 9-1-1 obligations
- You must obtain a BITS licence and adhere to the following conditions of licence:
- The licensee shall not engage in anti-competitive conduct in relation to the provision of an international telecommunications service or services. For the purposes of this condition, anti-competitive conduct includes entering into or continuing to participate in an agreement or an arrangement that has or is likely to have the effect of preventing or lessening competition unduly in Canada, or otherwise providing telecommunications services in a manner that has or is likely to have the effect of preventing or lessening competition unduly in Canada. The licensee shall file with the Commission, should it become necessary to investigate whether or not the licensee is engaging in practices having an anti-competitive effect in Canada, any information that the Commission may deem necessary.
- The licensee shall comply with the requirements set out in Changes to the contribution regime, Decision CRTC 2000-745, 30 November 2000, as amended by Changes to the annual contribution reporting requirements, Telecom Decision CRTC 2002-35, 31 May 2002, and as amended from time to time by the Commission.
- The licensee shall keep current the information required by the Commission in the application (affidavit) form for the issuance or renewal of basic international telecommunications licences, as amended from time to time by the Commission. The licensee shall file with the Commission particulars of any change to such information within 30 days of the licensee becoming aware of the change in question.
- The licensee shall file with the Commission any information required to be filed, in such form as may be prescribed by the Commission. For example, the licensee shall comply with the telecommunications industry data collection process requirements set out in Telecom Circular CRTC 2003-1 and Telecom Circular CRTC 2005-4, as amended from time to time by the Commission.
Regulatory obligations for BIT licensees include, but are not limited to:
- Review of the basic international telecommunications services licensing regime (Decision CRTC 2008-70)
- Basic international telecommunications services (BITS) licensing regime - amendments (Telecom Circular CRTC 2005-8)
- Regulatory regime for the provision of international telecommunications services (Decision CRTC 98-17)
- Date modified: