Telecom Circular CRTC 2007-17
Ottawa, 18 October 2007
Administrative changes to telecommunications industry data collection
In this Circular, the Commission provides notice of administrative changes regarding the collection of telecommunications data. The Commission also provides notice that Statistics Canada and the Commission will gradually harmonize their separate data collection processes so as to further reduce the data collection burden on the telecommunications industry.
In conjunction with this Circular, the Commission is issuing Broadcasting Circular 2007-7, regarding changes to the collection of broadcasting data.
1. The Canadian telecommunications industry is required to provide certain information to the Commission and to Statistics Canada. Telecommunications industry data collected by the Commission is filed either through its web-based Data Collection System (DCS) or, generally for smaller entities, through pre-populated paper forms. Statistics Canada collects similar telecommunications industry data under the Statistics Act using paper-based forms only.
2. This Circular updates certain sections of Telecom Circulars 2003-1 and 2005-4 that address the filing of telecommunications data with the Commission.
3. Beginning in January 2008, each form in DCS will indicate under which authority the industry data is being collected. The Commission notes that different rules regarding the confidentiality of this data will apply depending on the applicable authority under which the data is being collected. Telecom Circular 2005-4 will continue to apply to data filed by means of DCS under the authority of the Telecommunications Act.
4. A legal entity required to submit industry data via DCS must nominate a Response Manager within its organization. The Response Manager is the single point-of-contact for the Commission in managing the form completion process on behalf of the applicable entity. Currently, entities appoint their Response Managers by sending an email to the Commission. Henceforth, this appointment will be made via a web-based form. Details of how to appoint or to replace a Response Manager, as well as how to access the web-based Response Manager appointment form, can be found at the following Internet site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/dcs/contact.htm.
5. Further details on how to file through DCS, as well as the full list of activities requiring web-based filings in DCS, can be found at the following Internet site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/dcs/current/index.htm.
- Administrative changes to broadcasting industry data collection, Broadcasting Circular CRTC 2007-7, 18 October 2007
- Telecommunications industry data collection: updating of CRTC registration lists, telecommunications fees, Canadian revenue-based contribution regime, international licences and monitoring of the Canadian telecommunications industry, Telecom Circular CRTC 2005-4, 9 February 2005
- Telecommunications industry data collection: updating of CRTC registration lists, telecommunications fees, Canadian contribution mechanism fund administration, international licences and monitoring of the Canadian telecommunications industry, Telecom Circular CRTC 2003-1, 11 December 2003
This document is available in alternative format upon request, and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca
- Date modified: