Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-15
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 14 August 2018
Ottawa, 21 January 2019
THEMA Canada Inc.
Public record for this application: 2018-0605-1
Addition of A+kids to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from THEMA Canada Inc. (THEMA Canada), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service A+kids to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- THEMA Canada described A+kids as an educational niche service (100% English-language). The service originates from the United Kingdom and targets children in the 4-8 age group.
- THEMA Canada’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that A+kids will not be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: