ARCHIVED - Telecom Order CRTC 2010-398
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 18 June 2010
Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership - Hospital Patient Telephone Service
File number: Tariff Notice 372 (Aliant Telecom)
1. The Commission received an application by Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership (Bell Aliant), dated 29 April 2010, in which the company proposed rate decreases for its General Tariff Item 348 - Hospital Patient Telephone Service.
2. Bell Aliant submitted that previous rate increases for the Hospital Patient Telephone Service that were to take effect on 1 June 2009 were never implemented in the company’s billing system due to an administrative oversight. The company indicated that, as a result, it was proposing to change the rates in its General Tariff back to those that were in effect prior to 1 June 2009. Bell Aliant also requested that the Commission ratify the rates it charged from 1 June 2009 to the date its application is approved by the Commission.
3. In Telecom Order 2010-296, the Commission approved Bell Aliant’s proposed rate changes on an interim basis, effective 20 May 2010.
4. The Commission received no comments regarding this application. The public record of this proceeding can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Public Proceedings” or by using the file number provided above.
5. With respect to Bell Aliant’s request for ratification of the rates charged between 1 June 2009 and the date its application is approved by the Commission, the Commission notes that, pursuant to subsection 25(4) of the Telecommunications Act, it may ratify the charging of a rate by a Canadian carrier otherwise than in accordance with a tariff approved by the Commission if it is satisfied that the rate was charged because of an error or other circumstance that warrants the ratification.
6. The Commission is satisfied that Bell Aliant charged the rates without an approved tariff due to an administrative error. Therefore, the Commission finds it appropriate to ratify the charging of the rates as requested by the company.
7. Accordingly, the Commission approves on a final basis Bell Aliant’s application and ratifies the rates charged by the company for the Hospital Patient Telephone Service from 1 June 2009 to 19 May 2010.
· Telecom Order CRTC 2010-296, 20 May 2010
· Telecom Order CRTC 2003-314, 7 August 2003
- Date modified: