Ensuring a Place for Canadian Programs
Public Broadcaster - CBC
The policy objectives set out in Canada's Broadcasting Act identify the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) as the national public broadcaster and Sections 3.1(l) - (n) outline its special role and objectives for informing, enlightening and entertaining Canadians.
CRTC decisions that renew the CBC's network broadcasting licenses outline its special role as a voice for all Canadians, from every part of the country.
The CRTC's 2015 Policy sets out a framework to ensure that a range of diverse Canadian television programming will continue to be available on Canadian television.
Access to high-quality local news
On June 15, 2016, we published a new policy on local TV and community television that addresses such things as:
- Importance of local news
- Access to local programming
- Financing local news produced by independent local stations
- New support directed to local news
- Canadians’ continued access to the broadcasting system through community programming
- Emergence of new digital technologies
- Expenditure requirements and minimum hours of local programming imposed
For more, see the Policy framework for local and community television (Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2016-224).
Discretionary Television Services
Requirements for content made by Canadians for independent services vary and are set by conditions of licence. Check decisions for individual services for details.
- Creating compelling and diverse Canadian programming
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation – Licence Renewals
- Policy framework for local and community television
- Definitions for television program categories
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-143 – Renewal of television licences held by large French-language television ownership groups – Introductory decision
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-148– Renewal of television licences held by large English-language television ownership groups – Introductory decision
- Groupe TVA Licence renewal decision (French services)
- Bell licence renewal decision (French services)
- Groupe V licence renewal decision (French services)
- Corus licence renewal decision (French services)
- Rogers licence renewal decision (English services)
- Bell licence renewal decision (English services)
- Corus licence renewal decision (English services)
- Date modified: