Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2022-30
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 24 November 2021
Ottawa, 10 February 2022
Lewis Birnberg Hanet, LLP
Public record for this application: 2021-0792-9
Addition of REVOLT TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Lewis Birnberg Hanet LLP, acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service REVOLT TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- The applicant described REVOLT TV as an English-language programming service that provides a broad range of programs including in the genres of lifestyle or human interest, urban contemporary music, and current affairs programs. Its target audiences are viewers of African-Canadian heritage, adults of 18 to 54 years of age and viewers who enjoy hip hop and R&B music, and programs that deal with current affairs and cultural issues that focus on the Black communities in the United States, Africa and Europe. The programming of this service originates from Los Angeles, California.
- This request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- or French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that REVOLT TV will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: