Broadcasting - Procedural Letter addressed to Denis Labreche (Carlsbad Springs Community Association Inc.)
Ottawa, 3 June 2021
Carlsbad Springs Community Association Inc.
5556 Piperville Road
Carlsbad Springs, ON K0A 1K0
Re: Application 2021-0262-2 - CJRO-FM Carlsbad Springs, ON to add a rebroadcasting transmitter in Sarsfield, ON
Dear Mr. Labreche,
This is in reference to the above-noted application by Carlsbad Springs Community Association Inc. for an amendment to the broadcasting licence of CJRO-FM Carlsbad Springs, in order to add a transmitter in Sarsfield that would rebroadcast the programming of CJRO-FM.
In order to assess this application, please address the following questions:
- In Broadcasting Decision 2019-133, the Commission approved CSCA’s application for a community radio licence to serve Carlsbad Springs and Vars, ON. In that decision, the Commission noted that the licensee wished to offer musical and spoken word programming to its community, as well as more locally focused information on local events, community projects, not-for-profit groups and local businesses, which are not currently offered by other broadcast media.
In Broadcasting Decision 2020-369, the Commission approved CSCA’s application for a rebroadcasting transmitter to serve Embrun, ON. In that decision, the Commission noted that the licensee stated that the new rebroadcasting transmitter was necessary for the long-term viability of the station, due to unanticipated costs, as well as interest expressed by residents and businesses in Embrun for locally reflective radio service.
The present application is now to add a rebroadcasting transmitter in Sarsfield, ON due to interest expressed by that community for a locally reflective radio service.
In light of the proposed addition of Sarsfield-based programming to the programming of CJRO-FM, as well as the addition of Embrun-based programming, as approved in Broadcasting Decision 2020-369, please explain how the licensee will continue to provide service to Carlsbad Springs and Vars, as originally approved in Broadcasting Decision 2019-133.
- In Broadcasting Decision 2020-369, the Commission directed the licensee to submit complete executed bylaws with the proposed amendments, an updated list of programming committee members, and an updated list of the board of directors within 30 days of its next annual general meeting and no later than 17 December 2021.
In light of the above:
- Please comment on the status of the complete executed bylaws, updated list of programming committee members and list of board of directors.
- Please confirm your understanding that the information listed in a) above is to be submitted to the Commission no later than 17 December 2021.
Commission staff request the aforementioned information by no later than 10 June 2021.
In light of the above, the timetable for the Part 1 process for the above-noted application will be modified as follows:
- Any interest parties may file a response by 17 June 2021.
- Carlsbad Springs Community Association Inc. may file a reply to any interventions received by 25 June 2021.
The Commission requires the response or other documents to be submitted electronically by using the secured service “My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey) and filling the “Broadcasting and Telecom Cover page” or the “Broadcasting Cover Page” located on this web page. Also on this web page you will find information on the submission of applications to the Commission “Filing Broadcasting and Canadian Program Certification documents with the CRTC: Privacy and Security”.
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Should you need further information concerning this application, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Analyst, Radio Policy & Applications
- Date modified: