Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2021-235
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 3 May 2021
Ottawa, 19 July 2021
Asian Television Network International Limited
Public record for this application: 2021-0259-9
Addition of Mirror Now to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Asian Television Network International Limited (ATN), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service Mirror Now to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions in regard to this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- The applicant described Mirror Now as an English-language news service that provides in-depth analysis of the business financial market as well as quick cues and updates on the Indian and global stock markets. The service originates from India and targets South Asian viewers.
- ATN’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated i,n Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96 regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that Mirror Now will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV - A World of Choice - A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: