Telecom Commission letter addressed to the Distribution List
Ottawa, 20 August 2020
Our reference: 8665-C12-202000280
RE: Request for Information – Unauthorized Mobile Telephone Number Transfers and SIM Swapping in Canada – Monitoring of the enhanced mobile number porting process
Further to the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association’s (CWTA) letter of 12 August 2020 regarding the roll-back of the implementation of the enhanced mobile number porting process (the Enhanced Process), the CWTA and the Wireless Number Portability (WNP) Council members included in the distribution list are requested to respond to the present request for information, by 25 August 2020, serving a copy to the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC).
- Describe in detail the testing that was conducted prior to roll-out of the Enhanced Process, including the dates of testing, the names of the mobile carriers which were actively involved and whether any issues had been identified at this initial stage.
- In the CWTA’s 12 August letter, it was indicated that the decision to temporarily roll-back the implementation of the Enhanced Process was the result of issues encountered after initial implementation and that these issues were related to the manner in which individual service providers implemented the Enhanced Process into their respective business processes and internal systems. Describe in detail the issues encountered as well as the specific causes of any such issues.
- Explain why these unintended issues could only be discovered after the roll-out of the Enhanced Process began (in opposition to during the testing phase).
- Confirm whether a second testing phase is intended and if so, indicate the dates during which that phase is expected to occur, and if not, explain why not.
- What is the expected date that the Enhanced Process will be ready to roll-out and what assurances can you provide that this second attempt will be successful?
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Original signed by Étienne Robelin for
Director, Dispute Resolution & Regulatory Implementation
c.c.: Ursula Grant, CWTA, email@example.com
John Lawford, PIAC, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric Smith, CWTA, email@example.com
- Date modified: