Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-94
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 13 December 2019
Ottawa, 12 March 2020
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Public record for this application: 2019-1228-8
Addition of ET NOW to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service ET NOW to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- The applicant described ET NOW as a niche English-language service that originates from India and is devoted to in-depth analysis, from an Indian perspective, of the business and financial markets. ET NOW also discusses cues and updates on the global and Indian stock markets. The service targets individuals who are interested in news and business information programming originating from India.
- ECGL’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that ET NOW will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: