Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-64
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 12 November 2019
Ottawa, 18 February 2020
THEMA Canada Inc.
Public record for this application: 2019-1138-9
Addition of Heritage 4K to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from THEMA Canada Inc. (THEMA), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service Heritage 4K to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- THEMA described Heritage 4K as a niche service (100% French-language) that is devoted to documentaries relating to humanity’s heritage, such as monuments, sacred places and fabulous sites. The service originates in Israel and targets anyone who is impassioned by archaeology, history and travel.
- THEMA’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that Heritage 4K will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: