Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-6
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 30 October 2019
Ottawa, 15 January 2020
Public record for this application: 2019-1088-6
Addition of ducktv to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from VMedia Inc. (VMedia), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service ducktv to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- VMedia described ducktv as a niche service devoted to original animated programming designed to appeal to young children around the world and to stimulate children’s auditory, motor and cognitive abilities. The programming does not use any spoken language; it features a strictly musical soundtrack. The target audience of ducktv is children aged two and younger. The service originates from Bratislava, Slovakia.
- VMedia’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that ducktv will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: