Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2020-5
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 16 October 2019
Ottawa, 15 January 2020
Rogers Communications Canada Inc.
Public record for this application: 2019-1055-5
Addition of MUTV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Rogers Communications Canada Inc. (RCCI), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service MUTV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- RCCI described MUTV as a niche service (100% English-language) devoted to the Manchester United Football Club that features documentaries, player interviews, the manager’s weekly press conferences, commentary and analysis, live coverage of matches played by the Manchester United Reserve, Academy, and Women’s teams, replays of first team matches, as well as live studio shows and news bulletins relating to Manchester United. The target audience is fans or followers of the Manchester United Football Club. The service originates from the United Kingdom.
- RCCI’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that MUTV will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: