Telecom - Commission letter addressed to Mr. Robert Petruk (Gosfield North Communication Co-operative Limited)
Ottawa, 25 November 2019
Our reference: 1011-NOC2017-0033
Mr. Robert Petruk
Gosfield North Communication Co-operative Limited
128 County Road 34 West
Cottam, ON N0R 1B0
Subject: Request for information – Obligations with respect to Message Relay Services
Dear Mr. Petruk:
As noted in Telecom Regulatory Policy (TRP) CRTC 2018-466 titled Review of the regulatory framework for text-based message relay services, various categories of telecommunications service providers, including local exchange carriers (LECs), are required to provide message relay services to their retail customers, and may meet this obligation by:
- providing the services themselves;
- purchasing the services on a wholesale basis from an incumbent LEC; or
- hiring a third-party call centre to provide the services.
Commission staff notes that Gosfield North Communication Co-operative Limited (Gosfield) is currently registered with the Commission as a competitive LEC and as a small incumbent LEC.
In light of the importance of message relay services to the Canadian public, the Commission is working to ensure that LECs across Canada are adhering to regulatory obligations set out in TRP 2018-466.
Accordingly, Commission staff requests a response to this letter by 9 December 2019 using the secured service “My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey).
In your response, indicate whether Gosfield:
- is currently providing TTY relay services and IP relay services to its home phone customers. If this obligation is not being met, explain why and indicate when Gosfield will come into compliance; and
- will, by 14 December 2019, meet the minimum requirements for message relay services, as described in paragraphs 153 and 156 of TRP 2018-466.
If you have any questions, please contact Bradley Gaudet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer, Research and Communications
- Date modified: