ARCHIVED - Telecom - Commission letter addressed to Ms. Serina Repole (CityWest Telephone Corporation)
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 25 November 2019
Our reference: 1011-NOC2017-0033
Ms. Serina Repole
CityWest Telephone Corporation
248 Third Avenue West
Prince Rupert, BC V8J 1L1
Subject: Request for information – Obligations with respect to Message Relay Services
Dear Ms. Repole:
As noted in Telecom Regulatory Policy (TRP) CRTC 2018-466 titled Review of the regulatory framework for text-based message relay services, various categories of telecommunications service providers, including local exchange carriers (LECs) and wireless carriers, are required to provide message relay services to their retail customers, and may meet this obligation by:
- providing the services themselves;
- purchasing the services on a wholesale basis from an incumbent LEC; or
- hiring a third-party call centre to provide the services.
Commission staff notes that CityWest Telephone Corporation (CityWest) is currently registered with the Commission as a small incumbent LEC and a wireless carrier.
In light of the importance of message relay services to the Canadian public, the Commission is working to ensure that LECs and wireless carriers are adhering to regulatory obligations set out in TRP 2018-466.
Accordingly, Commission staff requests a response to this letter by 9 December 2019 using the secured service “My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey).
In your response, indicate whether CityWest:
- is currently providing TTY relay services to its home phone customers. If this obligation is not being met, explain why and indicate when CityWest will come into compliance;
- is currently providing IP relay services to both its home phone and mobile wireless customers. If this obligation is not being met, explain why and indicate when CityWest will come into compliance; and
- will, by 14 December 2019, meet the minimum requirements for message relay services, as described in paragraphs 153 and 156 of TRP 2018-466.
If you have any questions, please contact Bradley Gaudet at email@example.com.
Director, Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer, Research and Communications
- Date modified: