ARCHIVED - Telecom Commission Letter addressed to the Distribution List
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 5 April 2019
To: Distribution List
Re: GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) – Impact on wireless services
Commission staff is aware that the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) event is expected to occur on 6 April 2019. Commission staff is concerned that this event may impair certain mobile devices’ ability to provide accurate location information associated with 9-1-1 calls and requests that Wireless Service Providers (WSPs) answer the questions related to the issues outlined in the Appendix to this letter.
The Appendix to this letter sets out questions that all WSPs must answer no later than 12 April 2019. WSPs must answer the questions on behalf of all their brands, including all primary and flanker brands. Footnote1
As set out in Broadcasting and Telecom Information Bulletin 2010-961, Procedures for filing confidential information and requesting its disclosure in Commission proceedings, WSPs may designate certain information as confidential. WSPs must provide an abridged version of the document involved, accompanied by a detailed rationale to explain why the disclosure of the information is not in the public interest. All submissions are to be made in accordance with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure, SOR/2010-277.
Please provide your response using the secured service “My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey) attention to Shoeb Hafiz. We also ask that you repeat each question in your reply.
Chief Consumer Officer and
Consumer Affairs and Strategic Policy
Appendix – Questions
Questions for all WSPs:
For each of your brands, provide the following information:
Description of the problem
- Explain the GPS WNRO event and specify the potential problem to mobile devices and or mobile services.
Magnitude of the problem
- Specify whether the WSP network, active mobile devices, or both could be affected. If so, how?
- Specify whether testing has occurred. If so, when did the testing occur and what were the results?
- Specify the number of active devices on the network that may be affected.
- Specify the characteristics that may be common among the affected devices (e.g. chip-sets, model, vendor, etc.).
- Specify the expected date(s) the devices could be affected.
- Provide your best assessment of how the affected devices may be hindered in terms of their ability to provide:
- Phase 1 location information
- Phase 2 location information
- Explain the risk mitigation strategy in terms of
- Communication plan to 9-1-1 network providers for notifications to Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs)
- Communication plan to customers who may be affected
- Solutions to address the affected devices (e.g. software/hardware upgrades, replacement devices, etc.)
- Specify if the event affects alerts sent from the Wireless Public Alert System (WPAS).
- Provide your best assessment of other issues that may arise as a result of the GPS WNRO event as it relates to other functionalities of the affected devices (e.g. GPS dependent apps, etc.).
- Explain the symptoms and/or behaviours an affected device may exhibit (e.g. malfunctioning GPS-dependent apps, etc.).
Devices not provided by WSP
- Provide the number of active affected devices that, while not originally provided by the WSP, are active on the network. If this information is not available, provide an estimated time when it can be made available.
- Date modified: