Broadcasting Procedural Letter addressed to Leo Sabulsky (Chetwynd Communications Society)
Ottawa, 27 March 2019
BY E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Leo Sabulsky
Chetwynd Communications Society
RE: Broadcasting applications 2019-0151-2 and 2019-0152-0 – Chetwynd Communications Society – CHET-FMChetwynd, BC
Dear Mr. Sabulsky,
This is in reference to the above-noted applications by Chetwynd Communications Society for a technical amendment to add rebroadcasting transmitters in Tumbler Ridge and Hudson Hope, British Columbia to rebroadcast the programming of the English-language community radio programming undertaking CHET-FM Chetwynd, British Columbia.
In order to pursue the analysis of this application, please address the following.
Pursuant to subsection 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986, (the Regulations), licensees are required to file, no later than 30 November of each year, their annual return for the broadcast year ending the previous 31 August. Failure to file these returns, in whole or in part, by the required date of 30 November of each year, may result in apparent non-compliance.
According to Commission records, the financial summaries for the 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016, 2014-2015 and 2013-2014 broadcast years were filed late and the financial statements were also missing. Therefore, it appears that the licensee of CHETFM may be in noncompliance with subsection 9(2) of the Regulations, relating to the filing of duly completed annual returns for the 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016, 2014-2015 and 2013-2014 broadcast years.
In light of the information above:
- Please explain the circumstances of this apparent non-compliance.
- Please specify what measures have been or will be put in place to ensure full compliance with subsection 9(2) of the Regulations during the new licence term.
- Please specify the date by which the financial statements for the 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016, 2014-2015 and 2013-2014 broadcast years will be filed with the Commission.
- Please comment on the possibility of a short-term renewal for CHET-FM, in accordance with Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2014-608, should the licensee be found in non-compliance with subsections 9(2) of the Regulations.
- Please comment on the possible imposition of other measures set out in Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2014-608such as the imposition of conditions of licence, mandatory orders, non-renewal, suspension, or revocation of the licence or the requirement to broadcast an announcement regarding the non-compliance.
Staff finds it necessary to obtain this information from the applicant in order to provide for a complete record and to make a determination with respect to the proposed technical amendment.
The information requested herein should be submitted to the Commission by no later than 9 April 2019, failing which, the application may be returned to be completed and resubmitted with the Commission should Chetwynd Communications Society wish to pursue this proposal.
Please note that the intervention period for this proceeding will be re-opened for additional comments from all parties, as follows:
Interested persons have until 15 April 2019 to submit interventions.
Chetwynd Communications Society will have until 23 April 2019 to reply to any interventions.
The Commission requires the response or other documents to be submitted electronically by using the secured service “My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey) and filling the “Broadcasting and Telecom Cover page” or the “Broadcasting Cover Page” located on this web page. Also on this web page you will find information on the submission of applications to the Commission “Filing Broadcasting and Canadian Program Certification documents with the CRTC: Privacy and Security”.
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Should you need further information concerning this application, please do not hesitate to contact me by telephone at 819-635-8230, by fax at 819-994-0218 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Analyst, Radio Policy & Applications
- Date modified: