Broadcasting Procedural Letter addressed to Jasvir Sandhu (Radio Humsafar Inc.)
Ottawa, 5 February 2019
Our reference: 2019-0040-8
Jasvir Sandhu, President
Radio Humsafar Inc.
7655 rue Cordner
By Email: email@example.com
Re: Broadcasting application 2019-0040-8
Dear Mr. Sandhu,
This is in reference to the application by Radio Humsafar Inc. for a technical amendment for the unlaunched ethnic commercial radio programming undertaking CIRF Brampton, Ontario, which was published as a Part 1 application on 25 January 2019.
- Section 22 of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Rules of Practice and Procedure provides that an applicant must serve its application on a respondent defined as a person who is “adverse in interest.” The guidelines on the Rules of procedure Footnote1 include a chart of persons generally considered to be respondents (paragraph 61). The list is not exhaustive since parties that can be considered respondents depend on the specific facts of the application.
Commission staff notes that you have indicated in section 8 that no respondents have been served. However, as your proposed primary contour would shift away from Brampton toward the Mississauga market, Commission staff is of the view that CJMR Mississauga, licensed to Trafalgar Broadcasting Limited, CINA Mississauga, licensed to 1760791 Ontario Inc., and CIAO Brampton, licenced to Dufferin Communications Inc. could also be “adverse in interest.”
In light of the above facts related to the application, you are required to serve the application on CJMR, CINA and CIAO by 12 February 2019. Note that a document is not served until it is received by the intended recipient. Therefore, if you are serving a person by mail, you must send it in time for it to be delivered on or before 12 February 2019.
Furthermore, as per section 8 of the application form, Respondents, please revise the chart below with the required information as stated in the Rules of Practice and Procedure.
*Respondent *Mail or E-mail Address *Date Served
- Radio Humsafar’s AM station was licensed in Broadcasting Decision 2015-471 to serve Brampton, ON. According to the Radio Regulations, 1986, the station’s market is defined as its primary (3 mV/m) contour.
Please address the following:
- The current amendment would result in a significant decrease (-75%) in the original population served within your station’s market as defined by Radio Regulations, 1986. Please comment on the loss of population.
- The proposed amendment would result in your station’s contours moving away from its licensed market of Brampton and shifting towards Mississauga and Etobicoke
- Please indicate how this amendment would affect stations serving Mississauga and Etobicoke.
- Please indicate the extent of any programming changes as a result of this contour shift.
- The population estimate submitted as part of section 7.2 of form 303 for the proposed primary contour (262,124 people) is significantly lower than that produced by Commission staff (353,137 people). Please explain the inconsistency in population estimates.
Considering the above requests, the timetable for the proceeding is changed as follows:
Notice Number/ Part 1 Subject Posted Date Deadlines (Interventions/ Comments/ Answers) Related Documents Part 1 Radio Humsafar Inc.
Technical amendment - contours
Open application for applicant contact information.
25 January 2019
(25 February 2019 Old deadline)
1 March 2019 (New deadline)
Tinformationhe requested herein should be received by the Commission no later than 12 February 2019, failing which, your application may be returned to be completed and resubmitted with the Commission should you wish to pursue this proposal.
The Commission requires that you submit your documents electronically using the secured service My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey) and fill in the “Broadcasting and Telecom Cover page” or the “Broadcasting Online Form and Cover Page” located on this web page. Also on this web page you will find information on the submission of applications to the Commission Submitting applications and other documents to the CRTC using My CRTC Account).
A copy of this letter and all related correspondence will be added to the public record of the proceeding.
Should you need further information concerning your application, please do not hesitate to contact me by telephone at (819) 639-3173 or by fax at 819-994-0218.
CRTC Radio Analyst
Broadcasting - Radio
- Date modified: