Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-97
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 31 January 2019
Ottawa, 3 April 2019
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Public record for this application: 2019-0051-4
Addition of PeopleTV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service PeopleTV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- ECGLdescribed PeopleTV as an English-language television service devoted to programming in the pop culture genre, including celebrity news, celebrity gossip, celebrity interviews, exclusive stories, red carpet events, style and updates from the world of entertainment. The target audience of the service is women aged 18 to 54 who are interested in celebrity news, culture and lifestyle. The service originates from the United States of America.
- ECGL’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that PeopleTV will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: