Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-46
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 5 December 2018
Ottawa, 15 February 2019
THEMA Canada Inc.
Public record for this application: 2018-1059-9
Addition of Museum to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from THEMA Canada Inc. (THEMA), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service Museum to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- THEMA described Museum as a niche service (100 % French-language) that is devoted entirely to art and that offers a window into the most beautiful works of art, the most beautiful museums and the most prestigious exhibits. The service originates from France and targets all art lovers.
- THEMA’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that Museum will not be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: