Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-233
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 24 April 2019
Ottawa, 2 July 2019
Lewis Birnberg Hanet, LLP
Public record for this application: 2019-0269-3
Addition of REVEL TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Lewis Birnberg Hanet, LLP, acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add the non-Canadian service REVEL TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- The applicant described REVEL TV as an English-language 4K television service providing lifestyle entertainment programming that is 4K UHD native. The programming is primarily of interest to Millennials and falls within three categories: lifestyle/recreation and leisure, music, and amateur extreme sports. The service originates from Paris, France.
- Lewis Birnberg Hanet, LLP’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, the Commission has not found any evidence on the record of this proceeding that REVEL TV will be competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: