Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-54
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 21 November 2017
Ottawa, 8 February 2018
Public record for this application: 2017-1073-1
Addition of English Club TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from VMedia Inc. (VMedia), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add English Club TV, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- VMedia described English Club TV as a niche service (96% English-language, 4% French-language) that features formal and informal educational content, general entertainment, human interest, news and interpretation content. The service’s target audience is in the 18-45 age group with an extended audience of children aged 3 years and older. The service originates from the United Kingdom and the Ukraine.
- VMedia’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that English Club TV will neither be totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: