Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2018-234
Ottawa, 11 July 2018
Public record: 1011-NOC2018-0234
Establishment of a CISC ad hoc committee for relief planning for area codes 403, 587, 780, and 825 in Alberta
The Commission announces the establishment of a CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee ad hoc relief planning committee (RPC) to examine options and make recommendations for providing numbering relief to area codes 403, 587, 780, and 825 in Alberta. The Commission invites members of the public and telecommunications service providers to participate in the RPC’s activities.
- On 1 March 2018, the Canadian Numbering Administrator (CNA) advised the Commission that, based on the results of the latest numbering resource utilization forecast (NRUF),Footnote 1 area codes 403, 587, 780, and 825 are projected to exhaust by September 2022. These area codes cover the province of Alberta. The area code map is available on the CNA website.
- In Telecom Decision 2013-574,Footnote 2 as part of the relief planning for area codes 403, 587, and 780 that resulted in the implementation of area code 825, the Commission set aside area code 368 for future relief in Alberta.
- The Commission-approved Canadian NPA [Numbering Plan Area] Relief Planning Guideline (the Guideline)Footnote 3 provides the framework for addressing area code exhaust in Canada. The Guideline establishes a step-by-step process to be followed by the CNA and relief planning committees (RPCs). The Guideline requires relief planning activities to begin if an area code is projected to exhaust within the next 72 months.
- The telecommunications industry conducts area code relief planning in a public manner through an ad hoc RPC under the CRTC Interconnection Steering Committee (CISC). Part of the role of an RPC is to encourage public awareness and participation in the RPC’s activities.
RPC for area codes 403, 587, 780, and 825
- With this notice, the Commission establishes the ad hoc RPC for area codes 403, 587, 780, and 825 (the 403/587/780/825 RPC) under CISC and directs the CNA to chair this committee.
- The scope of the 403/587/780/825 RPC’s relief planning activities is limited to the consideration of solutions for introducing new numbering resources within the area currently served by area codes 403, 587, 780, and 825. Since area code relief planning does not affect local or long distance calling patterns or rates, these issues are outside the scope of the 403/587/780/825 RPC’s relief planning activities.
- In rendering its decision on the relief measures to be adopted, the Commission will consider all relief options identified and recommendations made by the 403/587/780/825 RPC.
- The Commission notes that the 403/587/780/825 RPC may contemplate relief measures that would require some customers to change their telephone numbers. The Commission therefore encourages members of the public to participate in the 403/587/780/825 RPC’s activities.
- The CNA is to announce the location and time of the 403/587/780/825 RPC’s meetings and is to make all related documentation available on its website at www.cnac.ca. Members of the public who wish to participate in the 403/587/780/825 RPC’s activities may also reach the CNA by telephone at 613-563-7242.
- All information that parties provide to the Commission as part of this public process, except information designated confidential, whether sent by postal mail, facsimile, email, or through the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca, becomes part of a publicly accessible file and will be posted on the Commission’s website. This includes all personal information, such as full names, email addresses, postal/street addresses, and telephone and facsimile numbers.
- The personal information provided to the Commission will be used and may be disclosed for the purpose for which the information was obtained or compiled by the Commission, or for a use consistent with that purpose.
- Documents received electronically or otherwise will be posted on the Commission’s website in their entirety exactly as received, including any personal information contained therein, in the official language and format in which they are received. Documents not received electronically will be available in PDF format.
- The information provided to the Commission as part of this public process is entered into an unsearchable database dedicated to this specific public process. This database is accessible only from the web page of this particular public process. As a result, a general search of the Commission’s website with the help of either its search engine or a third-party search engine will not provide access to the information that was provided as part of this public process.
Availability of documents
- Documents related to this public process are available at the following address, upon request, during normal business hours.
Les Terrasses de la Chaudière
1 Promenade du Portage
Toll-free telephone: 1-877-249-2782
Toll-free TDD: 1-877-909-2782
- CISC Canadian Steering Committee on Numbering – Consensus report CNRE106A, Telecom Decision CRTC 2014-603, 20 November 2014
- Area code relief for area codes 403, 587, and 780 in Alberta, Telecom Decision CRTC 2013-574, 30 October 2013
- Establishment of a CISC ad hoc committee for relief planning for area codes 403, 587, and 780 in Alberta, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2012-656, 29 November 2012
- Date modified: