Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2018-162
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 12 February 2018
Ottawa, 11 May 2018
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Public record for this application: 2018-0082-1
Addition of A Wealth of Entertainment to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add A Wealth of Entertainment, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- ECGL described A Wealth of Entertainment as a 24-hour general interest service (100% English-language) that provides inviting and vicarious living programming featuring awe-inspiring exotic travel destinations, outrageous cars, culinary delights, amazing homes and much more. The service’s target audience is interested in lifestyle and entertainment programming. The service originates from the United States of America.
- ECGL’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100 and reiterated in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-96, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that A Wealth of Entertainment will neither be totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary television services.
- Let’s Talk TV – A World of Choice – A roadmap to maximize choice for TV viewers and to foster a healthy, dynamic TV market, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2015-96, 19 March 2015
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: