ARCHIVED - Telecom Commission Letter addressed to Stephen Schmidt (TELUS Communications Company)
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 10 October 2017
Our reference: 1011-NOC2017-0033
Mr. Stephen Schmidt
Vice-President - Telecom Policy & Chief Regulatory Legal Counsel
Telecom Policy & Regulatory Affairs
TELUS Communications Company
215 Slater Street, Floor 8
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 0A6
Re: Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2017-33, Review of the regulatory framework for text-based message relay services
Dear Mr. Schmidt:
The present letter is to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 2 October 2017 requesting an extension to the due date of 10 October 2017 for parties to respond to requests for information (RFIs) that were issued on 25 September 2017 in relation to Telecom Notice of Consultation (TNC) 2017-33.
Your rationale for requesting an extension is that the RFIs posed to TELUS:
- follow the reopening of TNC 2017-33, for which the record originally closed on 18 July 2017. Based on that closure date, TELUS had deployed its regulatory resources to deal with other pending matters. As such, TELUS is requesting that suitable time be granted so that parties can plan for their re-engagement in TNC 2017-33; and
- will require obtaining quotes from external vendors and organizations who are not able to respond within a two-week time period.
Your letter indicated that TELUS would be unable to provide answers to the RFIs until 31 October 2017, and that TELUS would file its comments on Deaf Wireless Canada Consultative Committee’s (DWCC’s) supplementary information and other parties’ answers to RFIs on 7 November 2017.
Commission staff notes that TELUS’s request was supported by Bell Canada and Saskatchewan Telecommunications and that, to date, no parties have expressed disagreement with TELUS’s request.
This letter is to advise that Commission staff has accepted TELUS’s request, as the nature of the information requested by Commission staff is detailed in nature and additional time would be appropriate to allow parties to prepare responses. Accordingly:
- telecommunications service providers (TSPs) that are parties to TNC 2017-33 are to respond to the RFIs by 31 October 2017; and
- all parties to TNC 2017-33 may comment on DWCC’s supplementary information and on TSPs’ responses to the RFIs by 7 November 2017.
The filing of documents referenced in this letter is to be done using the secured service “My CRTC Account (Partner Log In or GCKey)”, serving a copy on all parties copied with this letter.
If you have any questions with regards to this matter, please contact Bradley Gaudet at email@example.com.
Director, Social and Consumer Policy
Consumer Affairs and Strategic Policy
c.c.: Distribution List
- Bell Aliant Regional Communications, LP firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bell Canada email@example.com
- Bragg Communications Inc. (Eastlink) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canadian Association of the Deaf email@example.com
- Canadian Hearing Society firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canadian National Society of the Deaf-Blind email@example.com
- Canadian National Institute for the Blind firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Newman email@example.com
- Cogeco firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conseil provincial du secteur des communications (CPSC) du Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique (SCFP) email@example.com
- Deaf Wireless Canada Consultative Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
- Freedom Mobile Inc. email@example.com
- Maple Communications Group Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Media Access Canada email@example.com
- MTS Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northwestel Inc. email@example.com
- Rogers Communications Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Saskatchewan Telecommunications firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shaw Telecom Inc. email@example.com
- TBayTel firstname.lastname@example.org
- Télébec Limited Partnership email@example.com
- Vidéotron firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: