Telecom Decision CRTC 2017-370
Ottawa, 19 October 2017
File number: 8695-C211-201706350
Canadian Telecommunications Contribution Consortium Inc. – Request for designation of the administrator for the National Contribution Fund
- In Decision 2000-745, the Commission introduced a national revenue-based contribution regime and related subsidy fund, which is known as the National Contribution Fund (NCF), whereby money collected from telecommunications companies is used to subsidize residential local telephone service. In Telecom Regulatory Policy 2014-187, the Commission determined that a national Video Relay Service would be implemented in Canada with funding being provided through the NCF.
- Pursuant to subsection 46.5(2) of the Telecommunications Act, the Commission has to designate a person to administer the fund. In Telecom Decision 2014-632, the Commission approved the designation of Welch Fund Administration Services Inc. (Welch) as the administrator of the NCF for a three-year period, commencing 1 January 2015. The Commission also approved the amending agreement between Welch and Canadian Telecommunications Contribution Consortium Inc. (CTCC) Footnote 1 which is responsible for establishing the procedures necessary for the operation of the NCF.
- The Commission received an application from CTCC, dated 25 July 2017, in which CTCC requested that the Commission approve the continued designation of Welch as the administrator of the NCF for an additional three-year term, and the related amending agreement between CTCC and Welch, effective 1 January 2018.
- CTCC provided, on a confidential basis, copies of the amending agreement, and an acknowledgement and consent by Welch LLP. CTCC noted that the fees payable to Welch in the renewal term under the amending agreement are modestly higher than the fees payable to Welch in the previous amending agreement without any changes in the services to be provided.
- No interventions were received with respect to this application. The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 25 August 2017, is available on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the file number provided above.
- The Commission has reviewed the amending agreement between CTCC and Welch and the acknowledgement and consent by Welch LLP and finds that the terms and conditions relating to the manner in which Welch will administer the fund are reasonable and are in accordance with Decision 2000-745 and Telecom Regulatory Policy 2014-187.
- Accordingly, the Commission designates Welch as the administrator of the NCF for a three-year term, commencing 1 January 2018, and approves the related amending agreement between CTCC and Welch, effective 1 January 2018.
- Canadian Telecommunications Contribution Consortium Inc. – Request for the designation of the administrator for the National Contribution Fund, Telecom Decision CRTC 2014-632, 5 December 2014
- Video relay service, Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2014-187, 22 April 2014
- National contribution fund - designation of administrator, Telecom Decision CRTC 2002-59, 24 September 2002
- Changes to the contribution regime, Decision CRTC 2000-745, 30 November 2000
- Date modified: