Telecom Commission Letter addressed to Samer Bishay (Ice Wireless) and David Watt (Rogers Communications Inc.)
Ottawa, 26 February 2016
Our reference: 8620-J106-201601633
Mr. Samer Bishay
President & CEO
675 Cochrane Drive, 6th floor, East Tower
Markham, Ontario L3R 0B8
Mr. David Watt
Senior Vice President – Regulatory
Rogers Communications Inc.
333 Bloor Street East, 9th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1G9
RE: Part 1 application by Ice Wireless Inc. relating to Rogers Communication Inc. attempt to disconnect Ice Wireless Inc. and the proper interpretation of Telecom Regulation Policy CRTC 2015-177 – Request for information
In order for the Commission to make a decision on the interim relief requested by Ice Wireless Inc. (Ice Wireless) in the above-mentioned application, Ice Wireless and Rogers Communications Inc. (Rogers) are to provide the Commission with their responses to the following question by 1st March 2016.
Questions to Ice Wireless and Rogers:
- Are there any technical means by which Rogers could differentiate between Ice Wireless customers and Sugar Mobile Inc. (Sugar Mobile) customers when they are roaming on the Rogers wireless network?
- If not, is there any action, technical or otherwise, that Ice Wireless could take that would allow Rogers to differentiate between regular Ice Wireless customers and those who are Sugar Mobile customers using the Ice Wireless network ?
- Please comment on whether it would be technically possible for Rogers to prevent Sugar Mobile customers from roaming on Rogers’ network while continuing to allow Ice Wireless customers to roam on Rogers’ network. If it is technically possible, provide your views with respect to this potential option.
Questions to Ice Wireless:
- As of 26 February 2016, how many active customers are there of :
- Ice Wireless’ service?
- Sugar Mobile’s regular service?
- Sugar Mobile’s free service?
- How are the SIM cards for Sugar Mobile’s regular service distributed, marketed and sold?
- How many SIM cards for Sugar Mobile’s regular service have been shipped or delivered to sales partners as of 26 February 2016?
Please file your response with the Commission using the secured service “My CRTC Account” (Partner Log In or GCKey), serving a copy on all parties copied with this letter.
Original signed by
Director, Competition and Emergency Service Policy
c.c.: Christian Tacit, firstname.lastname@example.org
Geoffrey White, email@example.com
John Lawford, firstname.lastname@example.org
Philippe Gauvin, email@example.com
Nathalie MacDonald, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jean-François Mezei, email@example.com
William Sandiford, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim Wardle, email@example.com
Josiane Lord, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: