Telecom Order CRTC 2016-71
Ottawa, 25 February 2016
File number: Tariff Notices 937 and 937A
Northwestel Inc. – Revisions to Network Interconnection Tariff
- In Telecom Regulatory Policy 2013-711, the Commission approved 10 local interconnection regions (LIRs)Footnote 1 and associated communities proposed by Northwestel Inc. (Northwestel).
- The Commission received an application from Northwestel, dated 17 December 2015, in which the company proposed to revise item 100.F – Local Interconnection Regions of its Network Interconnection Tariff. Specifically, the company proposed to include communities that had been added to the LIRs in the previous 14 months as a result of work completed under its Modernization Plan.
- The Commission approved Northwestel's application on an interim basis in Telecom Order 2016-5.
- The Commission subsequently received an intervention regarding Northwestel's application from Iristel Inc. (Iristel). The public record of this proceeding, which closed on 5 February 2016, is available on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the file number provided above.
- In its intervention, Iristel submitted that Northwestel had added several satellite-served communities to the LIRs, contrary to the Commission's determination in Telecom Regulatory Policy 2013-711 that it would be appropriate to exclude such communities.
- As a result of Iristel's intervention, Northwestel filed an amendment to its application, in which it excluded the satellite-served communities in question.
- The Commission has reviewed Northwestel's revised list of communities and finds it appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission approves on a final basis Northwestel's application.
- Telecom Order CRTC 2016-5, 11 January 2016
- Northwestel Inc. – Regulatory Framework, Modernization Plan, and related matters, Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2013-711, 18 December 2013
- Footnote 1
An LIR is a geographic area in which traffic is exchanged on a bill-and-keep basis.
- Date modified: