Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-164
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 4 March 2016
Ottawa, 2 May 2016
TerraTerra Communications Inc.
Addition of Canal Q to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from TerraTerra Communications Inc. (TerraTerra), acting as Canadian sponsor, to add Canal Q to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission's website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- TerraTerra described Canal Q as a 24-hour Portuguese-language niche service featuring entertainment programming. The service originates in Portugal and its target audience will be the Portuguese-speaking community in Canada.
- As set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list are generally approved, subject to any requirements the Commission deems appropriate. In Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, the Commission stated that non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or "niche" programming would be subject to the same approach as non-Canadian general interest third-language services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: