Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2015-421-2
References: 2015-421, 2015-421-1, 2015-421-3 and 2015-421-4
Ottawa, 17 December 2015
Notice of hearing
25 January 2016
A review of the policy framework for local and community television programming
Deadline for requests to add information on the public record: 5 January 2016
[Submit an intervention/comment/answer or view related documents]
- On 14 September 2015, the Commission launched a review of the policy framework for local and community television programming (see Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2015-421). Shortly after, the Commission received a number of procedural requests to extend the 6 November 2015 deadline for comments. Parties submitted that for various reasons this deadline was too short for them to prepare comments and that a planned community media conference in November would help them and other participants to do so.
- Noting that potential interveners had received ample public notice regarding the review, the Commission maintained the deadline. However, the Commission noted that other avenues for comments would be provided and that interested parties might formally request to add information to the public record.
- While the Commission recognizes that the addition of information related to the community media conference that took place in November may be in the public interest, it is also mindful of fairness to parties who submitted their comments by the 6 November 2015 deadline, as well as the need for parties to take into consideration the additional information when preparing their appearance at the hearing. For this reason, parties who wish to add information to their submissions already on the public record are expected to do so as early as possible and in any event no later than 5 January 2016.
- The additional information should be filed with a procedural request for the Commission’s consideration, explaining why the information could not be filed by the 6 November 2015 deadline and how its addition to the public record serves the public interest.
- Finally, the Commission stated in its notice of hearing that it expected to publish an additional document before the hearing that would set out areas for exploration at the hearing based on the comments to focus discussion and debate during the oral phase of the public hearing. The Commission announces that this document will be published on 12 January 2016.
- Date modified: