ARCHIVED - Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2015-134-1
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Additional references: 2015-134, 2015-134-2, 2015-134-3, 2015-134-4 and 2015-134-5
Ottawa, 3 June 2015
File number: 8663-C12-201503186
Notice of hearing
11 April 2016
Revised deadline for the first phase of submission of interventions: 14 July 2015
[Submit an intervention or view related documents]
Review of basic telecommunications services
Changes to procedure
- With this notice, the Commission revises certain procedural dates established in Review of basic telecommunications services, Telecom Notice of Consultation CRTC 2015-134, 9 April 2015 (Telecom Notice of Consultation 2015-134).
- By letter dated 4 May 2015, the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC), ACORN Canada, the Consumers’ Association of Canada, the Council of Senior Citizens’ Organizations of British Columbia, and the National Pensioners Federation (collectively, PIAC et al.) requested changes to two key dates established in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2015-134. Specifically, PIAC et al. requested that (i) the filing date for initial interventions be extended from 30 June 2015 to 24 July 2015, and (ii) the filing date for initial interrogatories be extended from 7 August 2015 to 21 August 2015.
- PIAC et al. argued that since they intend to commission and file external evidence, they may be unable to meet the 30 June 2015 deadline for initial interventions. They submitted that the rest of the original timeline could remain in place except for an extension to the deadline for filing initial interrogatories. In particular, PIAC et al. submitted that the 21 September 2015 deadline for responses to initial interrogatories could remain unchanged.
- The Commission received comments supporting PIAC et al.’s request to extend the 30 June 2015 deadline for initial interventions from Bell Canada, the British Columbia Broadband Association, the Canadian Independent Telephone Company Joint Task Force, Rogers Communications Partnership, the SSI Group of Companies, and TELUS Communications Company.
- However, Bell Canada submitted that the 7 August 2015 deadline for initial interrogatories should be maintained. Bell Canada indicated that it will be much more resource intensive for parties to prepare responses to the initial interrogatories than to develop initial interrogatories for other parties. Bell Canada added that in the alternative, any extension granted to the filing date for initial interrogatories should result in an equal or greater extension to the filing date for responses to the initial interrogatories.
- The Commission considers it reasonable to allow parties and interested persons additional time to prepare their initial interventions. However, parties should also be provided with adequate time to review other parties’ interventions before issuing their initial interrogatories and to prepare their responses to the initial interrogatories.
Accordingly, the Commission revises certain procedural dates set out in Telecom Notice of Consultation 2015-134. For ease of reference, the relevant paragraphs of the notice are reproduced below, with changes highlighted in bold italics.
47. Interested persons who wish to become parties to phase 1 of this proceeding must file an intervention with the Commission regarding the above-noted issues by 14 July 2015. The intervention must be filed in accordance with section 26 of the Rules of Procedure and must include one of the following statements in either the first or the last paragraph:
- I request to appear at the public hearing.
- I do not want to appear at the public hearing.
- Date modified: